In addition to the recreation grounds, the Parish Council owns or controls over 20 acres of land which are maintained for wildlife and quiet recreation. Initially, he took the photographs himself but then hired people to help him and then established his postcard company which became one of the largest photographic studios in the world.
Adult education classes are run by the Community College and the local W. After his death in 1898, his family continued the business but this was finally closed in 1970 by which time it had amassed hundreds of thousands of images.
By the 1900s, the parish was a thriving community with shops, inns and in addition to agriculture had a number of industries including saw milling, flour milling both now ceased and the manufacture of . James Nicolls, quickly established a reputation and all the leading players from W. Like many other communities across the country, the 1st World War had a profound effect and the distinctive War Memorial clock tower, erected in 1926 records those from the parish who lost their lives in that war and the 2nd World War.
nd two of the main providers of employment the flour mill and the saw mill have closed.
The latinised form, Pons Roberti, Roberts bridge, appears in the abbey records and on the abbey seal of the 13 century and is the first recorded use of the name.